During colonial times in America, if you wanted to convince or inform people about some issue that you considered important, you went to the local printer and got some pamphlets printed. You then handed them out, read them to anybody that was interested, nailed them to the town bulletin board, or the nearest tree. The first amendment was specifically written to protect this type of activity and the writers or "pamphleteers".Who Links Here
The Republican National Convention Bloggers
Thursday, August 26, 2004
Traffic information for Republican National Convention week
(Thanks to Pamela, our correspondent in Bay Ridge.)
The Republican National Convention will take place Monday, August 30th
through Thursday, September 2nd. Street closures in the immediate vicinity
of Madison Square Garden will begin on Sunday, August 29th and are as
· West 31st to West 33rd Streets from 6th to 9th Avenues will be closed
to vehicle traffic.
· Between 7th and 9th Avenues, pedestrians will need to have a
business-related purpose to enter (like New Year's Eve in Times Square).
· West 32nd between 6th and 7th Avenue will be closed to vehicle
traffic. It will become a Pedestrian Mall, providing access to Penn Station
up through Penn Station's 7th Avenue entrance under the MSG marquee.
· People will be able to enter Penn Station through the entrance at 34th
& 7th Avenue but not from 8th Avenue.
· 7th Avenue will be closed from 42nd to 29th Streets during the 13
hours when the convention is in session. At other times, at least one lane
will be open in the MSG area and all lanes will be open elsewhere.
· 8th Avenue will be closed during the convention hours from 23rd to
· Since 31st Street at 8th Avenue will be a designated protest area,
additional lane or avenue closures are likely south of that point at other
times during the week.
The MTA will be re-routing bus service on both 7th and 8th Avenues.
The Convention will not be in session during rush hour and it has only one
session during the day, on Monday from 10:00am to 1:00pm. The evening
sessions will take place Monday through Thursday, from 8:30pm to 11:00pm.
For more information, please call 311.